Monday, April 13, 2020

Ma ma my Corona

Here we are...

Again. 

One day, I may consistently post on this here blog...

Alas, something that comes along once in a generation is upon us and I feel the need to say something... to the air, since no one else is actually listening.

As of yesterday, the US had 525,704 cases and 20,486 deaths.

If you look at it by the numbers that's .18% of the US infected and .007% of the US has died. Doesn't seem like much when you put it that way, right?

If you take into consideration the situation in other countries like Italy are far more grim, of course, there are a number of exacerbating factors there, as well. Such as their aging population and according to Italy,  99% of those who succumbed to the disease had at least one underlying condition.

FYI- Italy has a population of about 60 million. Approximately, 19,899 died as of this posting or .03%.

Sure, if you were a numbers person, it would be easy to shrug this off. Those who are dying had underlying conditions, culling the herd, etc.

Fortunately enough for us, we are human and don't think about things in that way. Whether one person dies or 300 million, it's still tragic. It's still something we need to do everything in our power to combat.

This weekend was particularly eye opening for me.

I have EVERYTHING I need. While not a prepper by any means of the word, I live in a world where I never run out of things. I think it comes from being so impoverished as a child. Once you have no soap to wash your hands or toilet paper to wipe your behind, you have a tendency to make sure those things are covered in adulthood.

So, why was this weekend eye opening? A couple of reasons.

First, I take my dog for walks. It's been fun. She needs to run, but I am not fortunate enough to have a yard, so... a billion walks a day it is... Well, and sometimes we ride bikes, but it's too hot to do this for very long.

When I go on these walks, I expect to see a few people out. Sure. I mean, I have to walk my dog, so does everyone else.

The parks are closed. Well, they have signs saying they are closed. Unfortunately, as sign is just a sign. Every time I walk past the park, there is someone in it. They are riding their bikes, playing soccer, playing volleyball, etc. THESE PARKS ARE CLOSED and yet, they aren't.

So, I get home and I watch SNL. You know, the awkward one they did this week from their homes and using zoom? Michael Che mentions his grandmother died of COVID this past week. And, that's heartbreaking enough. Although, I cannot relate because my grandmother died 20 years ago. But, then... then, they had a tribute to their music producer Hal Willner. Hal, by all accounts was an amazing man; surely a talented one. The kind of uncle you wanted to have at Thanksgiving dinner. And, now? He's gone. Another COVID victim. While I have known 2 people on my personal periphery to pass from COVID, this was particularly shocking to me. It's everywhere. It's touching everyone. There is no escape.

I am not ready to call a win in the name of the apocalypse. Not even close. Even though my mother and sister have started to panic by the number of food plants shutting down. I still have faith we will be okay. We survived the H1N1 of 1918. We survived many a plagues before. The only one that plunged us into complete mayhem was the Bubonic plague that preceded the Dark Ages. Hopefully, times will not get that dark.

My biggest concern is that people aren't taking this seriously. The people in the park, the people worried about their rights being infringed upon, the people having parties. There are far too many people just walking around like nothing is going on. Like COVID is a minor inconvenience. For you, it may be. For Hal Wilner and Martha (Che's grandmother) it most certainly is much more than that.

Forget the politicians. Forget the pundits. Listen to the DOCTORS. Dr. Fauci has done this FOREVER. Why wouldn't we follow his lead?

My final thoughts come in the form of a checklist, to be completed frequently:

1. Wash your hands
2. Wear your mask
3. Avoid crowds
4. Listen to health officials
5. Remember this world doesn't revolve around you

No comments:

Post a Comment