Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Concept of this Blog

The concept of this blog is simple. I will discuss whatever comes to mind. It may be what is on your mind. It may be the opposite of what is on your mind. It may make you angry, it may be mindless, it may make you think. I'm one of those people who will look at the world across the spectrum and discuss just about anything.


I will say this. The majority of what concerns me these days has a lot to do with the title of the blog you have stumbled upon. The phrase minutes to midnight, not just being the name of a Linkin Park album, but one that refers to the doomsday clock introduced in the late 1940s to show how close the world was to nuclear disaster, with the hands of the clock switching back and forth depending upon current events. For example, during the Cuban Missile Crisis (October 1962), the clock moved closer to midnight. (For more information on the  doomsday clock you can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_Clock). (Yes, a wikipedia link. Usually, I wouldn't, but I can assure you that the information is accurate enough for these purposes)


For clarification: No, I am not one of those people who is sounding an alarm about the thought of doomsday being near. This does not necessarily mean that I think nuclear holocaust is upon us (Although, Iran, I am watching you). Instead, I intend to focus on the current state of the world. I intend to discuss current events that are shaking our planet to it's core. Actually and metaphorically.


I know what you're thinking. Another political blog? Why listen to some random person sitting on their sofa in the middle of nowhere, contemplating the world around them? My intention is not to persuade you any particular side (although, I am extremely liberal by my own admission). Instead, I hope that something that I say will make you think; will push your cognitive abilities beyond their limits and to begin a process of civil discourse. It's the only way we can move forward.


For those of you who stumble upon this blog and have read this far, thank you for humoring me. If you like what I have to say, please feel free to share with your friends and family. There will be more to come and hopefully, we can have some interesting conversations.


Best Wishes.

2 comments: