Saturday, January 7, 2012

"Have the Youth Given Up on Obama?"

Now, we all know that if it weren't for the youth vote in the 2008 election, Obama may not have made it into office. For those of you who hate him, "You're Welcome". Now, that I have probably angered some with my less than wry rhetoric, I look to the question that was posed to me. 


I'll be the first to defend President Obama. He took over the helm at a time when government bailouts were mainstream, war was a fact of life and social problems were percolating throughout all of society. The nation was and continues to be divided. He united some of us, if only for a moment, while he strengthened the resolve of others. Regardless of what we'd hoped he would do, regardless of what we think he had the power to do, Obama has made a decent amount of progress. Most of this progress, however, has been silently made. Look under the headlines and in between the political ads and you can find it quietly, tucked away: success.


(If you really need a list of what he has done, here's the most comprehensive list I can find, you can fact check it all you'd like: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Things-Obama-has-done/457458970505 )


Now, I'd be the first to admit, I thought Obama would do more for this country. Of course, I now realize, like so many of you, that I was duped by the promises of the campaign trail. Let's be honest with ourselves, time and time again we accept the promises of politicians campaigning as though it's written in stone. The truth- no one can actually keep every campaign promise, even if they want to. The system is set up to prevent one man (or woman) from changing it drastically and in such a short period of time. It's our delusion that demands it be so. 


It wasn't that long ago that I was angry at Obama. I believe it was during the debates on healthcare, or maybe even the ones on the budget, I thought "Gosh, command control! Don't let individuals impede progress". I got so angry at how little movement was being made. It was a bit like watching ants spend all day trying to move a potato chip.


And then, one day late at night, I was watching television (as I do late at night, insomnia, as it were) and I saw this interview of Morgan Freeman (yes, the voice of God himself.. and God, if you're viewing this post: if your voice doesn't sound like Morgan Freeman's, would you mind disguising it before I get there?) and the same question was asked of him "Are you disappointed in Obama?" and he replied that he wasn't because Obama made it clear when he took office that he was going to be President for all Americans, not just the ones who voted him into office. To this, I thought, "Wow". It all makes sense. If he were trying to be the president of all Americans then he would have to respect the people that Americans put into office. Even if they weren't advocating in the best interest of the American people, even if they were acting childish, even if logic would insist that they smacked with a ruler.


So, back to the previous question posed. No, I have not given up on Obama. Obama has done more positive things for this country in 4 years, than Bush did in 8. I only hope that he is given the opportunity to actualize more of this campaign promises and that politics as usual doesn't prevent it.

No comments:

Post a Comment