Sunday, January 22, 2012

Keystone Pipeline

I was watching television late last night, which ironically enough, I do shortly before I go to sleep on most nights and I came across the most entertaining commercial ever. Yeah, I like the one with the piggy Maxwell, going weeeeeee wee wee weeeee, too, but that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about a commerical in support of America's oil and essentially in so many words the Keystone Pipeline. (I tried to find the commercial on youtube, but I couldn't find it. I'm guessing it's that new. If I find it, you will be the first to know).


Don't know what the Keystone Pipeline is? Well, then, you're probably right up there with most Americans. The truth of the matter is a hot button issue is mounting ever so quietly as the GOP makes fools of themselves and Obama tries to hold onto his hat. The issue, which was "inadvertently" voted on recently (embedded deep inside a payroll tax bill) was recently blocked by President Obama.


I would argue that this is the best Obama has done for this country, but I'll let you decide that for yourself.


What is the Keystone pipeline? Essentially, the Keystone Pipeline is a proposed pipeline that would allow for the free flow of oil from Canada, through the heart of America, ending in Houston, TX. The problem with it is that it would bring some of the dirtiest crude oil straight through our backyard.


(Want to see the map? go to http://www.transcanada.com/keystone_pipeline_map.html)


Republicans... Yeah, the good 'ole GOP has spent a great deal of their time blasting President Obama for blocking the initiative, saying that he's a job killer and that this would be a good boost to the economy.. Blah, blah, blah. The truth is actually much different. Would it create jobs? Yeah, of course. Would it create lots of jobs? A considerable amount. Is it worth it? No. The Keystone Pipeline would not only pose a threat to the environment, but to the people who live in the areas that the pipeline would be laid. It is dirty oil. It is going through the backyard where your children play. It has a high chance of poisoning the ground water, health of particular people/ regions, etc. (not to mention the risk to people, wildlife, etc. if there was an oil spill... remember those?) Who could possibly support this initiative?


The answer is: someone who wants a quick fix. People who want to temporarily solve two problems: energy and jobs. Now, I'm all for solving these problems, but I want real solutions. Call me crazy, call me rogue, call me what you will, but I would prefer to stitch a wound before I wrap it in gauze. 


Jobs- You want to create jobs? Stop assuming the government is there just to sit pretty and be a figure head. I know, I know, no one wants to admit we need government, but whether you like it or not, our government is what binds us. It serves a purpose, fulfills a need. Yes, it takes money from us sometimes to fill those needs, but it still has a purpose. The way to create more jobs is to focus on internal improvements. It's not a new idea. FDR thought of it once (during a time we fondly call the Great Depression). We cannot rely on the private sector to create jobs all by itself (we have not seen nearly the growth necessary to pull us out of the economic slump) and it is time the public sector get involved. It's about funneling the right amount of resources into the right place to spur the right improvements at the right time.


Energy- I tweeted not that long ago that we should have used the sun for our powering needs and waited to use oil when the sun burns out (yeah, that's supposed to happen at some point, if you don't believe me, call NASA). Now, it was meant as a joke, but it's not that funny. The truth of the matter is that we cannot continue to consume our natural resources without some unintended consequences. We need to develop other forms of energy. I do not want to sound like one of those environmentalist types. My air conditioner is running right now (don't hate, I live in Florida and it's hot). I'm merely saying that putting pipes into the ground to drain dirty oil, spilling oil in the Gulf of Mexico (yeah, I'm talking to you, BP), nuclear power plants that can have a melt down at any moment (Do I need to mention names here?) and all other forms of energy that are unclean and unsafe should be our last resort. Why can't we take five minutes and try some of those cleaner forms of energy? What's the harm?


Keystone is a bad idea. No matter how you view it. It is a way for big oil to dig their grubby little hands into our backyards and risk the youth of America for temporary dividends. Remember to call your Congress person to voice your opinion on Keystone... Or, use the number posted by The American Petroleum Institute to tell President Obama- 202-456-1111

No comments:

Post a Comment