Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We Are the 99%?

So, I came across this link today and I was wondering what people think.


http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/04/news/economy/world_richest/index.htm?hpt=hp_t3


For those of you who don't want to take the time to read the article in its entirety, the article is basically discussing how Americans as a group make up half of the world's richest 1%. Comparatively speaking, it only takes $34,000 a year (individual) or $136,000 (family of 4) to be considered among the world's richest 1%.


Now, let me just say, I, single, graduate degree in hand, make less that $34,000 a year and I know no family of four who makes more than $136,000. So, by definition, I am still a member of the world's 99% population. Pretty sad to realize that as an over-educated resident of the RICHEST NATION ON THE PLANET, I am still considered poor (I'll argue middle class on a world stage, poor on a U.S. one).


That being said, I am not here to talk about me. I want to talk about the concept of the 99% on a global standpoint.


Whether you agree with the concept of the OWS protests, or the thought of being a 99%er yourself, you have to admit that there are a couple of things that everyone can agree is on point.


1st- The thought of living on $1,225 a year, regardless of where you live is amazing. It should be said, because I know you're thinking it, that it's obviously easier to live on that in some places than others. In the U.S., regardless of where you live, it's not even remotely possible to live on that. The cost of living is just too high. To compare, ask yourself: can the person live in their current society and have the basic necessities of live (shelter, food, etc.) on their current income. When the answer is no, I'd argue that the person is a 99%er. Now, anyone can live outside their means and "feel poor" or "feel broke", but that's not what I mean. I'm referring to those who work to obtain income, but still manage to find themselves unable to provide themselves with basic necessities.


2nd- Those who are "Occupying" usually fall within the bounds of the 99% globally, all of them fall within the bounds of being the 99% nationally and all of them agree that both nationally and internationally, resources and economic wealth is concentrated in the hands of the few, which is denying the majority basic human rights. Agree with them or not, this is what they believe.


3rd- Why is the 99% protest different in the U.S.? Because those who are in the U.S. are close to the system that made this world a world of the haves and have nots. Corporate greed, whether your a liberal or a conservative is a staple in American business. It's not all business, but there are those that you know and hate that clearly define what it means to be greedy. Americans see people who work for multi-billion dollar corporations 40 hours a week, or more and still can't make ends meet. Now, these people are not being greedy. They don't expect that the local sales clerk make extreme amounts of money, but let's face it, a person who is hardworking should at least make enough money to sustain life. If you don't think this to be true, then you clearly have never worked a hard day's work a day in your life.


I'm not going to sit here and tell you that a redistribution of wealth is the way to go. I will say this, until the lower and middle classes of the world, not just the U.S., the world, can manage to have their basic human needs met, the struggle and even the quest for revolution will continue.


Now, I could go on forever about the 99%, poverty, global economic crisis, etc, but I won't. For now, I'll leave you with this one final thought. Can you sit by while children all across the world, including this country are starving and allow the rich to get richer?

4 comments:

  1. I think it's telling of a society that supports the greed of corporations while they struggle to put food on their family's table. My feeling is that these people aspire to that level of wealth or at the very least want to believe it's possible to achieve if they just work hard enough. So by thwarting these greedy people they are in essence thwarting themselves.
    Sorry this isn't better thought out. I just got home and I'm exhausted :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I appreciate your comment. But, I ask you this: do you think it is possible to achieve the American dream in the traditional sense through hard work? I think at this particular moment in time the answer is no. I take my own experience, for example, and I see someone who has put in the time (I have worked a full time job since I was 15 and I have both a Bachelor's and a Master's degree) to no avail. What does this say for the current system that we live in?

    Most people do not advocate abandoning the system and preventing people from making money. The problem is believing in a system in which those who work hard are not necessarily given the fruits of their talents and toils. I do think that one should feel awful about having billions of dollars while people are starving. I don't care how much you worked for it.

    I don't think you're thwarting yourself by asking those at the top to give you what you deserve. Look into the wages at any company and it's a tell tale sign of the inadequacies that are perpetuated through this current system. Those who are on the bottom get paid meager wages while those at the top get paid big.

    I wish I could buy into the theory that those at the top will take care of those at the bottom. "Give 'em tax breaks and they'll create jobs". The truth of the matter is that they will continue to line their pockets. Current CEOs are just modern day robber barons.

    Thanks again for your post. Get some sleep!

    Oh, and I recommend the movie Margin Call, if you get a second. It's a unique, well scripted drama about the last 24 hours at an investment bank before it collapsed. It'll renew your faith in corporate greed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I don't believe that hard work begets the American Dream. It's who you know and what's been handed to you. This is not a meritocracy, we are way past that. The reality is that it's all an illusion.
    I don't think that we can change the system completely, I just think that until those who vote against themselves get a clue, read a book, stop watching Fox News we are in for a world of hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree. But, this should be a meritocracy. We like to advertise ourselves as one, but in practice, not so much. I think we sell this country short by not allowing the best of the best to rise.

    ReplyDelete